Viewing Profile: chrisr2
Latest Posts by chrisr2
My list of the top 15 national job boards
Here’s my list of the top 15 National job boards. This list is NOT ranked by traffic, rather by my knowledge of the job board industry, their popularity among job seekers and number of jobs in their respective databases. None of these are niche sites. They contain listings from all industries across the USA.
1. Indeed.com – the worlds top job search engine.
2. Monster.com – the job board we all grew up with.
3. SimplyHired.com – just like Avis in rental cars, they’re the #2 aggregator so they try harder.
4. Linkedin – big and getting bigger. Soon to add aggregation.
5. Glassdoor.com – the new kid on the block with momentum.
6. CareerBuilder – oldie but goodie.
7. Craigslist - the cheapest job posting prices by far.
8. Beyond.com – also operates hundreds of niches job sites.
9. Juju.com – a solid aggregator more people should check out.
10. Snagajob.com – kind of like the national site for part time jobs.
11. Linkup.com – just employer jobs.
12. Ziprecruiter.com – this job distributor also is a job board.
13. Jobtarget(job finder) - they power thousands of association job boards.
14. Bullhornreach.com/jobs – they help staffing firms with jobs that you can also browse/search.
15. US.jobs – powered by Direct Employers.
Sponsor my site
Do you have a product or service that targets job boards and other online recruiting sites? Consider sponsoring my site to get your product in front of thousands of visitors each month. I have a highly focused audience of job site owners, product managers and other online recruiting professionals. A simple ad on the right column can be yours for a little as $50/mo.
New Twitter job search engine
Recently I’ve been fascinated by job seekers using twitter to find jobs. I spoke to one of them on my podcast about how she used it to get a job in Boston. So that got me thinking about better ways to leverage twitter and the job hunt. So my developer and I spent 6 months crafting.tweaking/designing some thing new.
Allow me to introduce Jobcritters!
For job seekers it allows them to connect with more job publishers such as job boards, employers, staffing firms and recruiters. And it lets them create a keyword rich “twesume” that allows recruiters to find them easier. It is totally free.
Job boards should join in order to be added to a public directory and for the ability to post sponsored job tweets.
It’s time we organized job related twitter accounts and this site is the first step towards that goal. So head over to Jobcritters.com and add your site for free then add keywords to your profile. When done your twesume should look like the example below. You are allowed up to 10 keywords to describe your site niche plus embed up to 3 links. These keywords will be used for our job publisher directory which will launch in a few months.
And to be sure your jobs feed is searchable by our job seekers just be sure to include the words job OR hiring when you push out your jobs to twitter. (see example below image)
This tweet has job title, location and #job hashtag. It will display on Jobcritters job search results easily.
— Connecticut Tech Job (@ConnTechJobs) June 26, 2014
So I hope you join and help organize the job-twitt-osphere!
Micro-niche/hyper-local sites easier to rank in SEO (member only)
My latest job board launch
CONNtechjobs.com is my latest job board launch. After a two year absence its my first local job board. I’m targeting two things – tech jobs in Connecticut. I call this a micro-niche job board. One that targets an industry AND location. Its hosted on Jobboard.io and backfilled with indeed listings. Its been live for about a month and I’ve been promoting on linkedin to attract recruiters. I’m using facebook ads to drive targeted Connecticut traffic to it.
I have a long time horizon with the site. The first year will mean free job postings and lots of content. I have to get the blog up and running next. That content will focus on the CT job market.
So as things progress I’ll give you a peek inside its progress, sharing stats, marketing techniques and other news surrounding its growth.