Viewing Profile: chrisr2
Latest Posts by chrisr2
My new secret tactic for getting free traffic to your job board (member only)
Premium domain for sale: MobileJobs.com
The domain name www.mobilejobs.com has been put up for sale by one of my readers. The domain name was registered in September 1999, only 12 months after Google was officially launched!
With the dramatic growth in mobile over the last few years, and the clear desire for job seekers to search and apply for jobs using mobile devices, the www.mobilejobs.com domain name has great potential for both new or existing job board owners.
Alternatively it can be just as attractive as a website address for companies looking to develop any new mobile job related products or services.
If you are interested contact me and I’ll put you in touch with the owner.
Job board revenue streams (other than jobs)
In the golden days of job boards you could get away with just making money on job postings. Not anymore. Here’s a list of other revenue ideas that will help you add to the bottom line. Multiple revenue streams will help your business stay aflot in good times and bad. Today’s job board NEEDS multiple revenue sources to survive. My favorite is Adsense but here are 6 more ways to increase your bottom line.
1. Backfill from Indeed, SimplyHired or JuJu. For every 10,000 page views you can earn anywhere from $100-$300 in my experience.
2. Banner ads. The recruitment ad agencies like TMP, Bayard, CKS, etc will pay for these IF you have traffic and target a local or niche. Sell your own banners and reap the reward.
3. Email blasts. If you have a list of job seekers you can send out email blasts for employers. For 1,000 emails I would charge something like 10 or 15 cents per email.
4. Affiliate programs. I have never been a big fan of these but there are various resume services and other job related sites that willpay for traffic or conversions. Check out Commission Junction for finding them. Resume services are another one.
5. Job fairs. Hold an offline job fair. Connect with your clients and job seekers in person. These are espcially good for local sites as a way to build community.
6. Resume access. Charge employers to search your resumes or to contact the job seeker. Take a page out of Indeed’s book where they charge $1 to contact the jo seeker while making their resume free to see.
10 sites to get a backlink for your job board (member only)
Jobs2Careers debuts new interface
The team at Jobs2Careers has come out with a very visual interface for its homepage, something quite different from the usual job board designs I see.
There are two things to note here. The first is that the background design changes based on which tab you click. The second is the tabs themselves.
The backgrounds really give the site some personality. Most job board designs tend to lack creativity in this area so I give J2C some credit for this unique design concept. Since the web is more about visuals now anyway, this is a good way to differentiate their user experience.
The tabs are interesting too. They’ve essentially created 3 job boards in one. Professional jobs, part-time roles and “gigs” like baby sitting and dogwalking. Its a unique concept that I have not seen before. The part-time tab seems especially relevant since a lot of people like to have a 2nd job at times.
TAKEAWAY: Design is imporant for any web site. For job boards its particularly important since a poor design WILL affect your sales negatively. The better design, the more you’ll make.
Jobmaster app is the new standard in job board directories
Me and the team from CareerCloud are proud to announce the launch of Jobmaster. It’s an iOS app that organizes the world’s best job boards into one app and lets you browse or search any of those sites within the app itself.
It’s taken us months to collect all this data. Right now the app is fairly U.S. centric but we will be adding sites for every country on an on going basis. At the moment we are listing over 800 job boards from every country, state and niche. Free to download, users pay 99 cents to access the niche or state directory. Access to the list of national sites for each country is free.
We are only adding sites the database that have been established for at least 1 year and have a sizable amount of original postings. So if you want to submit your site for consideration use the contact us form on CareerCloud.
This app is the best way to find a job or find a place to post a job. Its aimed at recruiters and job seekers.
Job board news update
Hey job board peeps, here’s the latest tidbits from the job board world. Enjoy the reading.
* SecurityClearedJobs.com moves to Madgex Platform
* DentalPost launches Candidate Matching feature
* Talenetic partners with Indeed
* Trucking Unlimited Acquires TruckDrivingJobs.com for $800,000
* AuthenticJobs launches AuthenticPros.com as a new talent directory. Great example of a people directory site for a niche. This is the new ‘resume database’. Dont bury them behind a paywall. Lets users create public profiles.
* Quick hiring startup MyNoticePeriod raises $3 million funding from IDG Ventures
* CareerCloud launches Jobmaster job board directory app. Learn more.
Should you add resumes to your job board? (member only)
5 good looking job boards
A good job board also means it has a well designed interface that is pleasing to the eye. Here are 5 job boards I picked that offer solid design principles.
Bubble Jobs is a UK based site for the “digital industry”. The homepage is a little busy but its a unique design with a pleasing color palette. The bubble page background is a nice touch.
Authenticjobs is a popular tech job board. Their homepage has a clean, focused interface. I love how much of the main real estate goes to the latest jobs. Logos along the left are also a ‘must have’ these days.
Inbound.org/jobs is a community site for inbound marketers. They have a great job board too.
Archinect.com/jobs is a community site for architects. Their job board features a clean, flat design, again featuring logo icons next to each listing.
MyCNAjobs is a niche site for certified nursing assistants. Since its only for 1 kind of job they just have a zip code locator for finding the jobs near you.
Looking for more cool job boards? Check out the Jobmaster app for iOS.