Viewing Profile: chrisr2
Latest Posts by chrisr2
Job Board Software Vendors Should Add These FeaturesBy chrisr2 on February 27, 2018 | Comments Off on Job Board Software Vendors Should Add These Features
This is a general call to action post for all job board software vendors. As the job board space gets more crowded it’s important for them to keep iterating on their platforms and keep adding features to streamline the user experience while helping boards attract more traffic.
So here are some things I would like to see them add to their platforms in order to stay relevant. Its free advice, take it.
- Text Job Alerts – start to offer job alerts by text message in addition to email. Employers are beginning to adopt text to engage candidates and so should job boards. I would love to see the ability to get job alerts by email or text. Text will greatly increase open rates and lead to more traffic/applies.
- Better Social Integration – social media, namely Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn, are hugely important to help drive traffic so I’d like to see tighter integration with them. Let job board owners login and connect their sites to the platform to enable auto-posting of content instead of relying on 3rd party social media tools.
- More Content Feeds – job boards need more content but some of it is still out of reach. They all provide job feeds and blog feeds but they could easily add other RSS feeds for employer profiles, public job seeker profiles and even things like new signups. For example, it would be great to be able to auto-publish messages to social media like “John just posted a resume on XYZjobboard.com” or “[company name] just created a profile“.
- Push Alerts – desktop browser notifications are another marketing channel that boards can use to drive traffic. Either build it into your product or offer integration with more 3rd party tools.
- Visual job pages – allow employers to upload an image/video to their postings to make them more visual. Plain text pages are BORING. Design them in a more visual way to attract more seekers. These days most job postings still look too much like each other. I think an image or video should be the first thing a job seeker sees when viewing a job.
- Resume Refresh – the technology exists today to update resumes via social profiles (see crowded.com) and by prompting registered seekers to update their resume more often. We need to end the stale resume syndrome that exists in most job boards.
How to ask for backlinksBy chrisr2 on February 26, 2018 | Comments Off on How to ask for backlinks
If you are looking to get more backlinks to your site one of the things you should be doing is asking for them. I frequently get pitched via email and thought I would share one of those emails so you can use it to craft your own messaging. Its critical to point out specific pagaes to ask for a link so do your homework and tailor each pitch to potential websites.
Hi, My name is Rekha Pant and I’m part of the team behind Canva. I was doing a bit of research on different content layouts and resumes and saw that your website https://jobfairing.com/online-resume-builder-tools/ has some great design insights and related resources.
I also notice that you link to a number of resume resources and wonder if you can include ours [https://www.canva.com/en_in/create/resume/designers/] into the list?
Canva is a relatively young design startup that already has more than 10 million users worldwide – and growing fast. Canva’s impressively easy to use resume maker can help in making an amazing first impression on the employers. A visual resume made with Canva can help put the focus on the skills and experience of candidates. As you share great stuff on your website, so you can also write about Canva Resume Maker or can include our Templates.
If you need any help with paid graphics and images then we will be more than happy to assist you. Please let me know if I can answer any of your questions. Thank you for your time! Best Regards, Rekha Pant.
Though SEO for job boards is changing due to Google Jobs now taking up the above the fold search results it can still bring in traffic from long tail searches. I wouldn’t spend a great deal of time asking for backlinks but newer sites should probably do it more often just to build up some ranking. It can also help you rank in Bing.
SmartJobBoard Gets More CustomizableBy chrisr2 on February 25, 2018 | Comments Off on SmartJobBoard Gets More Customizable
Smart Job Board has long had a page builder for their homepage layout, where you can easily manage content. Now it is available for Pricing and custom pages in their latest update. Here’s what the email notification says;
This new addition will not only ease up DIY designing but will also allow you to:
-Create different landing pages, for example when you want to have a separate landing page for your Employers and Candidates
-Add Text, Job Alert form, Job list, and much more to whatever page you like, with just a few clicks.
-Make your Pricing page more informative, by adding nice content above or below product boxes.
I applaud the move. Being able to customize any page on the site makes their platform more user friendly. By giving more control to site owners, Smart now has the most customizable hosted software product on the market.
Learn more about these additions here:
New Update: Page Builder Enhancements & Logo Resize
Job Board Software Pricing Update (hosted versions)By chrisr2 on February 20, 2018 | Comments Off on Job Board Software Pricing Update (hosted versions)
A reader alerted me that Smart Job Board upped their prices a bit so I thought I would do a quick recap of the top “off the shelf” software products. These products are all hosted in the cloud and are self-configurable. I recommend them for beginners who want to get started quickly.
These are the least expensive way to get your job board off the ground. To put it another way, ‘job boards in a box‘.
1. Smart Job Board: It used to be $50 but even at $79/mo their basic package is still a great value. [link]
2. Jobboard.io basic package stands at $249 which is a high point in their history from what I remember. [link] i think their checkout process is a little smoother than Smart’s if you are looking for differences. They also don’t have the total job restrictions that comes with Smart (active job listings). [link]
3. JobMount‘s basic price point stands at $295 which has been steady for a while. With them you get a free 6 month job spidering (scraping) and the ability to take your code with you to put on your own server. [link]
4. JobboardHQ is $295/mo. Link.
Job Board News BytesBy chrisr2 on February 19, 2018 | Comments Off on Job Board News Bytes
My phone has been off the hook with consulting requests these past few weeks. Interest in the job board business seems to be booming. And lots of news is being made.
- Ezayo.com is a new site for HR jobs.
- Find.jobs set to launch. owners of the .jobs domains are trying to reboot interest in their domain business. The problem with this concept though is that a domain name does not mean you will have a successful business. Plus with Google Jobs now reducing typical SEO traffic the .jobs domain is not as useful as it used to be. Their new flagship sites boasts 8 million jobs and uses the Google search technology. [LINK]
- Recruitology announced the availability of its newest job network for the cannabis industry, connecting employers with candidates across this developing new market. The Cannabis Network features a wide spectrum of positions, from growers, to warehouse technicians, brand ambassadors, and bud-tenders. [LINK]
- MedJobCafe.com, a company that provides job boards, career path and development services, as well as career fairs to healthcare professionals, announced the launch of a redesigned, easier-to-navigate website. As the largest network of professional healthcare job boards for nurses, dentists, pharmacists, physical and occupational therapists, and biotechnicians, MedJobCafe.com. The job boards include: NursingJobCafe.com, PharmacistJobCafe.com, DentistJobCafe.com, AlliedHealthJobCafe.com, BiotechJobCafe.com
- The Mitula Group, owners of an overseas job aggregator is launching an investment fund. [LINK]
- Jobeum partners with ShoCard to enhance digital reputation solutions in US. [LINK]
- Job.com is now a blockchain based recruitment site that uses blockchain technology to keep job seeker data secure and private. It launches April 19th. They are owned by MyJobMatcher based in the UK. [LINK]
- Former job board Beyond.com (now Nexxt) apparently changed its name because the owner bought out the investors and used the sale of the domain to Bed, Bath& Beyond to help finance the buyout. Interesting story.[LINK]
Uncommon.co is a new AI based matching site that just got 18 million in funding. Employers only pay for ‘qualified’ applicants so they say. Its a hug amount for a jobs startup. Matching sites have been tried before and most have failed. I don’t know if this is worthy but bears watching. [LINK]
MEANWHILE AT GOOGLE…
Google Jobs has announced that people looking for work in Chile, Mexico, Argentina, Brazil, and Colombia can use their search engine to find information on available job offers that go according to their needs more quickly and easily. Latin America, here comes the big G. I wonder how soon it will get to Europe.
My Lead Gen Email Stats from 2017By chrisr2 on February 13, 2018 | Comments Off on My Lead Gen Email Stats from 2017
I got an email from SendGrid last week. They created a snapshot at how my emails from the past year performed.
I send thousands of lead generation emails each year so these stats come mostly from emails I find online of employer and recruiter prospects (people who are hiring). Therefore they are not opt in and I don’t email them more than a few times. Just wanted to share these numbers with you as I thought it would give you another point of reference to measure against your own efforts.
Ironically my Mailchimp sends are less successful averaging between 15-20% open rates. I use Mailchimp for opt-in emails for newsletters and special announcements. My newsletter for this blog gets an open rate around 27% on average.
TIP: Its a good idea to go into your own email lists once or twice a year and remove any emails that have NEVER opened your emails. Though you will lower your list, you will improve your open rates by getting rid of dead email weight.
Well Designed Job Board Home PageBy chrisr2 on February 12, 2018 | Comments Off on Well Designed Job Board Home Page
Your job board home page is an important piece of real estate. It’s first priority is to funnel job seekers to jobs or employer to post them. Beyond that it should feature content, be easily navigable and of course, look nice. BankTalentHQ is one of those sites. It offers a great first impression.
Take a quick tour via my screencast. The home page and other content looks to be on a separate web host as the search part goes off to a subdomain. That way they can use a service like WordPress to create good looking home page with a template that is highly visual.
Jobg8 Introduces Its Own Email Alert Affiliate ProgramBy chrisr2 on February 7, 2018 | Comments Off on Jobg8 Introduces Its Own Email Alert Affiliate Program
The ‘world’s largest’ job board network JOBG8 (pronounced “job gate”), is expanding its reach by offering job alerts for its job board partners.
Founded in 2008 in the UK, Jobg8 has a long history within the Job Board industry and will now provide a white label alternative to Ziprecruiter and Juju. Currently supplying job backfill and pre-qualified applicants to job boards that deliver revenue, their mission is to help job board partners to make more money, “not compete against them”. You can buy traffic from them or earn money as well.
Job publishers can integrate them via API/web service to deliver candidate data directly to Jobg8 or get a white label signup page like this example;
I recently chatted with their North American sales rep Matt Simpson about the new job alert offering.
Matt told me “Jobg8 has 10 years of job matching experience that’s greatly enhanced by an ever growing database of millions of jobs to pull from. Our experience matched with such a large database of jobs means we can provide relevant postings to any seeker.”
“The important thing is that the candidate is exposed to the Job Board brand, receiving great service in their job hunt and the Job Board monetizes the candidates in the process” Matt continued.
I signed up for an alert a few days back and got this email below. Note it indicates where the jobs come from as well as an introduction to the job itself which is great for the seeker to know.
Jobg8’s large database of jobs means job boards can monetize portions of their database that they are unable to reach on their own. Also Jobg8 does all the heavy lifting so the job board doesn’t have to do anything after integrating with them.