Another year, another set of conferences to go to.
Last week I flew to San Diego to attend the IAEWS job board conference which was held alongside the ERE expo. Both events were well attended with the IAEWS having around 100 job board professionals in the audience. It was great to see old friends and meet some new ones.
As I flew home I jotted down some of my takeaways and other tidbits overheard on the expo floor.
1. Best insight: “Monster will sell for only 1x” by Mike Tansey CEO of onTarget Jobs.
2. Job boards are adding more social features…don’t miss the boat.
3. Best opportunity for job boards right now: employers need better ways to pre-screen applicants. Build tools to help them cut down on applicant clutter.
4. John Sumser spoke on social media technology as it relates to recruiting. His take was that its still early in the game. We’re only 16% of the way there to full adoption.
5. Mobile is the 7th “mass media”…aka the 3rd screen.
6. Video slows down the recruiting process. If your new video interviewing/resume/screening tool doesnt make it faster, more efficient for recruiters, it will fail.
7. Best quote: Chris Forman of Startwire…’provide solutions not just postings’
8. Rumours: JobFox is not doing well…(I cant believe they’ve hung around for this long)
9. Interesting statistic I saw: unemployment rate for college educated in US is 4% while those without is 8%
10. 9 out of 10 job seekers say they are more likely to apply for a job IF they know they will get a response from employer (startwire)
11. HR budgets are still decreasing. Recruiters still doing more with less.
12. companies dont need more traffic to their career sites, they need more qualified candidates