A reader asked me to list some of the problems in the job search world that could potentially be fixed with new technology. Here are some thoughts on that subject if you are thinking about starting a new business in this industry.
- Most people suck at job hunting. They dont know what sites to use, how to write a good resume, etc. How about creating a jobs earch course or online certification program?
- They dont know where all possible jobs are. Indeed, for all its goodness, does not have all the jobs. Help people find the rest. I’m trying with apps like this.
- Job descriptions suck, companies need help makign them more attractive.
- Companies need better solutions to target the spcific talent. There are too many shotgun appraoch type products in the market. Need ones that help identify niche talent.
- Employers suck at job marketing. They need to think of themseles as marketers but they dont. Good job marketing helps them rise above the generic messaging that runs rampant in recruitment.
Yes you can build a profitable business in this area but it must solve a real world problem facing employers/recruiters/jobseekers.
And remember, generally speaking the money is on the recruiting side. Candidates will not pay for much so don’t expect them to open their wallets too often for your product.